Monday, March 3, 2014

Welcome Home


The Girls 
Nora Jane and I welcomed The Girls into our home (literally--they reside in Anna's old room) and our family last Friday.  We rose at the usual 6:00 hour, and then waited, and waited, and waited, until it was time to go to the feed store.  And like the song says, "the waiting IS the hardest part."  So to keep myself busy, I swept, and vacuumed, and even cleaned the bathrooms!  You would have thought royalty was coming for a visit the way I tidied up, rather than a few silly chickens.  When I finished that I watched an episode of 24, my new favorite show.  How did I never watch this in it's heyday??  Nora, meanwhile, played Minecraft for a LONG time.  And then, finally, it was time to go!  

As we drove across the Narrows Bridge we continued to think of names for the girls.  "They have to be just right,"  declared Nora.  

When we entered the store, the peeping of chicks seemed to be everywhere.  Nora's eyes took on the look of Hattie's (when she sees food) and she looked at me for instructions.  I just said, "well, go look!"  And she was off!  

While she perused the choices, I located the "chicken helper," and then, together, we set out with our little brown box to find the perfect chicks.  Well, let me tell you, that is no easy job.  Every bin we encountered contained dozens of happy, peeping, wobbling, eating, beaked bundles of fluff.  

"Which one would you like," asked our chicken helper?  

When I informed her these were our first-EVER chicks, she sighed and settled herself in for the long haul.  Feeling bad for her, although no one else was even looking at any chicks, I continued, "but if you see one that looks really good, we'll just take that one."  

That perked her right up and our little brown box was filled with one Buff Orpington, one Ameraucana, and one Silver-Laced Wyandotte in less than two minutes.  While Nora Jane VERY CAREFULLY carried our box of birds to the counter, I grabbed a bag of chick grit and then we were on our way. 

As we drove home, I asked Nora Jane if she thought we'd ever get chicks and she said she wasn't sure, but she's glad we did.   

Me too, I replied.  And then I asked if her mom was the coolest mom ever.  The very enthusiastic "OH YEAH!" that came from the back seat was all I needed.  

The girls have been with us for three days now and I no longer check on them every five minutes.  Although I do spend a lot of time with them (as does Nora) watching them, talking to them, changing their feeder and waterer, and making sure the temperature in their brooder is okay.  Oh, and cleaning out poop.  My God can these girls poop!  Which my garden and I plan to take full advantage of later this year.  

So while my niece Nanny thinks "I have gone weird," I'm here to report that I have not.  In fact, I am the same old Sonja I was four days ago.  Just a little bit happier.  I still take my kid to school, walk the dog, do housework, work in the garden, and write crazy things on this blog. And while my house doesn't look any different today than it did on Friday, it's about to experience a transition too.  It's about to go from a regular old backyard to a teeny tiny farm with actual livestock.  Livestock which will not ever be eaten.  (I feel I should point that out)  

I mean once ya name them, it's kinda tough to eat 'em.....

So, allow me to introduce The Girls: 


Lena, our Buff Orpington, is named after my Great-Grandma Lena Dahl, who, my dad tells me, was quite the tough, little farmer.  She milked cows, raised meat and egg hens, and she even traveled by ferry from my hometown of Poulsbo all the way to Seattle (way back in the day) to sell her eggs and home-made butter at the Pike Place Market.  I never knew Lena.  I wish I had and I hope to make her proud.  

Nora and Lena
Arya (Arry) is our Silver-Laced Wyandotte.  She should grow up to be not only beautiful, but calm and docile, and a good layer.  Already she seems like the leader of the pack.  

Nora and Arry

Finally, there's Winnifred (Winnie) our Ameraucana. 

Nora and our Easter Egger, Winnie
This little gal will provide us with our very own beautiful blue and green Easter eggs when she gets down to business.  She is the smallest of the bunch but very sweet.  Nora chose her name because it means "prosperous with friends."  

So that's all for now.  Things are going well.  The girls are eating, sleeping, and pooping A LOT.  Their wing feathers are emerging and they are settling in.



As for Hattie.... Well, she's still not sure if she should eat them, lick them, or chase them.  Mostly, she lays under their heat lamp, along with Cooper, and soaks up their warmth.  

Cooper's rough life:
enjoying the glow




2 comments:

  1. It's happened!
    They're home!
    You have chickens!
    Congratulations~
    What a wonderful venture you've begun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's been a great few days! Their little tail feathers are coming in as well as their personalities. I'm not sure any other chicken owners pay this much attention to their newborns--ha!

    ReplyDelete