Monday, January 6, 2014

2014--The Year of the Dog

According to the Chinese Calendar, 2014 is The Year of the Horse.  Nora, my little lover of all things equine, was delighted when she learned this.  Not surprisingly, she even asked (AGAIN) if she could get a horse.  

"I wish you could honey," I replied.  And I really meant it.  (Even though I'm no horse lover.)  "But here at the 4902 we simply don't have the space for such a large animal."

 "Well how about those chickens then," she asked.  (Always the negotiator this kid) 

"That-- I'll work on," I promised her.

"Besides," I told her, "we are going to have our hands full with the Little Brown Dog." Also known as Hattie.  Also known as The Mad Hatter.  And most recently dubbed Crazy Louise as I have so frequently yelled "Geez Louise!" in her presence.  

Thus, because of Hattie, I have dubbed 2014 The Year of the Dog.  The year that we teach her she doesn't have to bark like a fiend when we travel somewhere by car.  The year that we teach her not to greet visitors so exuberantly that they want to turn tail and depart before they've even entered the house.  The year that we teach her that she doesn't, in fact, have to eat her own feces as we have plenty of very delicious AND nutritious dog food just waiting for her in the basement.  The year that we teach her that she doesn't have to protect, or guard, said food because it's just hers.  Hers and hers alone.  The year that we teach her that she doesn't have to hide and sleep in the other room, whilst her family clamors for her attention in another area of the house.  

As you can see, it's going to be a busy year.  

But time has a way of healing.  In just over two month Hattie's eye has healed.  She can now see clearly out of both eyes, no longer wears the Cone of Shame, and is completely off all her medications.  And we are delighted about this.  And with more time, (and patience, and love, and patience, and dog obedience lessons, and patience) hopefully, her other issues will resolve as well.    

So for all you horse lovers out there, rejoice.  Enjoy this year and all it's horsey offerings.  As for me, it's all about the dog.  

Happy New Year from Crazy Louise ---


Oh! and and Happy New Year from me! A girl born in The Year of the Sheep!

No comments:

Post a Comment