Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Dollars for the Philippines



There have been times, (when I've been low on cash) when I've gone to Nora Jane, my personal banker, and requested a much-needed loan.  For coffee.  On these rare occasions, she has been known to (a) roll her eyes as far back into her head as humanly possible and reply, "fine, how much"? or (b) simply state, "MOM, you don't NEED anymore coffee!"  

I'm not particularly fond of either of these responses, though I've been known to gratefully accept the first one on occasion as it's a little nicer than (B).

So I was very pleasantly surprised last week, when Nora asked if we could donate to the victims of the typhoon in the Philippines.

"What," I thought?  "Who are you?  And what have you done with my selfish little monster?" Rather than say these words aloud, I told her we could donate the following day as I didn't have any cash on me.  (Hmm...this seems to be a recurrent theme)

"Not to worry," she said and she marched upstairs.  A few minutes later, she returned with Thirty Dollars OF HER OWN MONEY to donate!

"Do you think this is enough mom?"

"I think it's a lot honey.  Are you sure you want to donate that much?" 

"Mom!  They need it!"

"Then it's the PERFECT amount," I replied.  "And how bout you buy coffee today?"

"Not a chance," she said.  

That's my girl!  


No comments:

Post a Comment