Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Doin' the Puyallup (I Mean Washington State Fair)

Today Nora Jane went to the fair with her friend Ella, and Ella's mom.  And I'm feeling a bit ambivalent about it.

First of all, let me say that, honestly, I didn't want to go to the fair.  For I have not missed a Puyallup Fair since Anna was in a stroller and too little to walk around all day.  (So why did we take her then?  I have NO idea)  At any rate, Anna is now twenty-years-old.  That means every September for the last seventeen years, I have stood in lines, thrown balls at bottles that never topple over, eaten crappy food, walked past gigantic horse butts, and held cute little bunnies all so my kids could do all of these things too.  I've even celebrated my wedding anniversary at the fair, as that was the only day that we could squeeze it into our schedule....Romantic, huh?

The only thing I haven't done at the fair is ride the rides.  At least not the big rides.  Because they make me nauseous.  One year (the first year Dave and I ever went to the fair) I even threw up.  Just like I knew I would.  But Dave did not believe me when I said the rides make me sick.  He thought it was "all in my head."  So, finally, after a burger and a few snacks, I relented.  And that was the last time he ever asked me to ride a big ride.

And, despite that one little blip, the fair has always been great, or, at least okay.  

But seventeen years, come on!  I should get a medal right?

So when Nora recently asked me when we'd be going to the fair this year, I thought, I'm so sorry that you're kid #2.  Life is really going to suck for you this September, because I just don't want to go.  

Luckily, my friend Addie came to my rescue.  When she asked if she and her girls could take Nora to the fair, I didn't even hesitate.  I immediately said yes.  I didn't even care if she missed a half-day of school.  I didn't even care if she missed soccer practice.  I. Didn't. Have. To. Go.

As I watched Nora climb into Addie's van, though, I felt those familiar  pangs of envy.  The pangs I get when I realize my kid is going to be doing something really fun and I'm going to miss seeing it. And then I remembered about the scones.  How am I going to get my fair scone?  (Scones, you see, are the only Fair Food that doesn't fall into the Crappy Food Category.)

And in a moment of weakness, as the van doors were closing, I almost called out and asked if I could come along.  

But then I realized I could just go to my old coffee shop in Fircrest and get the exact same scone.  Without any waiting in line.  And I turned and walked into the house.  

Have fun y'all!



No comments:

Post a Comment