Friday, October 18, 2013

Why I Never Became a Nurse

I would have made a GREAT nurse.  I have all the right qualities.  I am caring, nurturing and I LOVE taking care of sick people. At least my sick people.  I love bringing them juice, soup, and their favorite soft foods after they have their wisdom teeth removed.  (Note how I didn't say pulled....just the thought of teeth being pulled, or ripped out, sets my stomach a-flippin)

Anna's soft food diet
I love fluffing their pillows and tucking them into their blankets.  I don't even mind running to the pharmacy to pick up their medicine or driving them home, with a mouth full of gauze and eyes that are glazed.  And how could I mind running to McDonald's for a nice, soft, chocolate milkshake?  That just means I get one too!  And fries!

What I don't like, however, is changing their bloody band-aids, seeing beneath their dermis, or looking at a bone after it's moved outside of their skin.  I don't even like talking about their ailments.   And, God forbid, one of my patients ask me to look inside her bloody mouth to see "what's hanging next to her cheek because it feels weird," because that, alone, will send me running to the bathroom.  

That is why I left nursing to the professionals and stuck with being Dr. Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment