Thursday, May 9, 2013

On Meeting a Legend

Last Sunday was the annual running of The Tacoma City Marathon and due to a revised route, the runners ran right through our neck of the woods. Specifically, right past Starbucks. Always happy to sip coffee in the sunshine, especially if there is an event to watch, I was eager to attend.  Dave, being the agreeable fella that he is, was down with that.  Nora Jane, however, not being one to go out for coffee, took some bribing.  With the promise of a cinnamon roll for breakfast, however, she was quickly on board.   So we hopped on our bikes and pedaled to the race.

Upon our arrival, I quickly gave Dave my order and claimed the one remaining outdoor table.  Sitting there, under sunny skies, watching the first runners go by, I was happy to see the other fans who gave up their morning at home to come out and cheer on some crazy runners. And the runners appreciate it.  26.2 miles is a LONG way.  

While the crowd wasn't huge, or overly-loud, they definitely did their fair share of woo-hooing.  Except for Nora.  She remained silent, cheering from within.  Like Nora, not all of the spectators came for the race.  The man sitting at the next table told me he "just wanted a cup of coffee." But once the runners started coming by, he "had to stay and watch."  For, like me, he got pulled into the camaraderie,  the energy, and the goodwill those runners brought to our little corner. Having run this race myself, I think I appreciated his being there more than the cheering moms, husbands and kids.  Because he didn't have to be there.  But he got caught up in the costumes, the sign-waving fans, and, the pleasure of being  a part of something bigger than ourselves.

I believe events like these are not just healthy for the participants, they are good for the community.  As spectators, cheering on our friends and families, or people we don't even know,  we form a bond: a pride in the people who live here.  And we are happy to share that with one another.  So while we sip our coffees, and wait for our loved ones to arrive, we visit.  We visit with old colleagues, who are cheering on the barista from their favorite coffee shop.  We catch up on each others lives, the lives of our children.  Some of whom are having children even!  

We visit with the naval pilot who is waiting for his wife to arrive.  While we wait, we learn that he once ran an entire marathon on a treadmill.  On a treadmill!  Because running on the aircraft carriers was hard on his knees!  Egads!  

And we visit with legends, like Leon.  Leon, it turns out, won the Tacoma City Marathon way back in 1981.  And though he wasn't running on this day, he was very much a part of the race.  Standing on the corner, showing his Loggers Pride, mingling with the other former superstars, he was all smiles as he cheered on the runners and reminisced about the old days. 

Leon attended the race with his sister, our friend's mom.  This woman's sole purpose on this sunny Sunday was to introduce her brother, Leon Bombardier,--to everyone.  And, like a proud parent, she took the job of showing him off very seriously.  But her praise was justified, for Leon, it turns out, didn't just win way back in 1981, he won it in a time of 2:26:11.  Pretty impressive considering this year's first-place finisher, Bill Condon, crossed the line in 2:43:52. 

But that's not all; Leon also ran with Pre! 

"Really," I asked.  Not even trying to mask my surprise.  

"Oh, ya.  We were roommates."  I couldn't believe it.  I was standing next to a legend.  Our discussion, then, got more personal as we discussed the other local runners we all knew; Ring, Salazar. When I asked if he still ran, he just laughed and said, "I wish, but I need a new butt.  And a new hamstring."   Dude.  I hear ya.  

As we shook hands and said goodbye, I told him to enjoy the morning.  He replied, "oh I am!" 

Riding home after the race, I thought what a great morning!  I went out for coffee and met a legend.  Oh, and I got to eat a cinnamon roll.  It doesn't get much better than that!



No comments:

Post a Comment