Monday, May 13, 2013

Best Laid Plans and All That

Some days you've just got to listen to the signs. Take today, for instance. 

The weather app on my phone predicted rain at 2:00 p.m. I know this is just a prediction, but these modern weather guys are pretty spot-on for the most part.  Thus, with a few hours of dry weather before me, I planned to hop on OB, (orange bike) my new bike from Double Tall Cycles, aka Dave, and take her for a little spin.  So after I took Nora Jane to school, and after a quick walk around the blocks with Jack E Boy, (that's about all he can do these days), I ran upstairs to change into my cycling clothes.  I had, literally, just pulled on my last sock when I heard the rain come roaring in.  I thought, you've got to be kidding me!  It's only 9:48 a.m.! 

Discouraged, I sat on the bed, wishing I lived in a sunny climate, and tried to determine my plan of action: trade my riding clothes for running shorts and go for a run? Or, keep the riding clothes and hit the trainer in the basement?  

The latter sounded like less work, so I headed downstairs only to find a flat rear tire.  Oh brother! Already?  I've only taken her on four or five rides!  How could she have a flat already?  Maybe I'm not supposed to go for a ride today.  But not being one to listen to signs, I pressed on.  Besides, my girlfriends are getting ready for our Chelan Ride in a few weeks and there is NO way they are going to kick my butt.

Grateful that the tire change will occur in a nice, warm, dry garage, I got busy.  After I got the bike reassembled, I gave the tires a quick once-over and discovered that the rear tire was flat again!  What is going on today?  

So, again, and much more carefully, I searched the tire and there it was, the culprit: a teeny tiny piece of metal.  

By this time, the sun was out.  Blue skies were even spotted among the clouds.  But, alas, I am sitting at the computer for I am out of tubes, without a car, and hungry.  So, instead of riding, I'll eat my lunch, finish some laundry, and wait for Dave to come home with my new tubes!  Who knows, I may even talk him into going out for a ride with me :)

If it's not raining that is; unlike me, he does NOT mess with that sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment