Monday, January 3, 2011

Until Next Year

The tree is down.  The decorations have been put away, with the exception of the Snowman Teapot I just found on top of the cupboard in the kitchen.  EVERY YEAR there's one that eludes me!   The cookies and candy have been eaten, or thrown away.  I just couldn't look at them anymore, let alone take another bite.  Remember,  my foot is injured and I haven't been running for nearly two months.  My sanity and my waist line are both feeling the effects this loss.  Sigh!

Christmas is over.  And I am HAPPY!

I no longer have to stress about what I'm going to make for Christmas dinner.  Or what I'm taking to the holiday party.  Or what I'm going to buy for people who I hardly see the entire year! I mean I know the holidays are supposed to be about giving.  I get that!  And I LOVE to give, but just to people I know.  People I adore.  People who I can easily shop for!  Is that so horrible?

You can call me a Grinch, or Ebenezeer.  But,  really, I'm not!  I think  I'm very sweet and kind hearted.  I love my husband.  I love my children.  I love my friends.  And I love to give them things!   I just think we all  get a little carried away during the holidays, because we think we have to.    That's all. 

For me, Christmas is about so much more than that.   It's about spending time with the family that I see, collectively, about once a year.  I don't know why that is.  I guess  Christmas Eve is just the day we all commit to.  But they are totally worth the wait. And here's why:
My Aunt Brenda, My Dad, and my Aunt Andrea  sporting festive winter attire made by my Aunt Brenda.  Aren't they cute! 
Alright, this photo may not show them in their best light.  But stick with me.  I'll explain. 

These are the people I grew up with.  The people I spent every holiday with during my childhood.   The people who know my family secrets.  And still love me!  The people who bought me my first pair of shiny red shoes, and showed me that not every dinner must include meat and potatoes.   Sometimes you can just stir fry vegetables--in a wok!  Or at least a deep frying pan!   These are the cousins who sat together at the kid's table, in the kitchen, far away from the watchful eyes of grown-ups laughing as Brian, yet again, flipped his eyelids inside out.  And, yes, that still totally grosses me out! 

Cousins:  All grown up and eyelids intact 
These are the aunties who bought me my first real makeup (Clinique, from the mall!)  even though it was supposed to be from my Grandma, who didn't realize I was old enough to actually wear it.   These are the people who love and spoil my daughters.  Who inspire me.  And, who, like me, LOVE their DOGS. Really!

In fact, this Christmas (it seems too soon to say last year) there were fourteen of us snuggled around the table, enjoying our usual fare, and within reach of every corner there was a dog---five, to be exact.

And these included:  Jack E Boy, of course.  And, YES, I made Dave brush and brush and brush and brush him to, hopefully, minimize his shedding.  I hope it worked!  Monsoon, my Uncle Ron's sweet, yellow lab.  She is SO sweet, in fact, that she was "released" from her training school,  where she was preparing for her future as a service dog,  because she  just wasn't assertive enough.   Lucky Ron!  (I'm mimicking my Grandpa Dahl here, but, sadly,  you don't know that, because you can't hear how that sounds in my head:)

(L) Monsoon, Me, (R) Jack E Boy (also victims of Aunt Brenda)
 Buoy, my dad's sweet, old, arthritic Fox Red Lab.  
Buoy, WAY TOO  COOL for hats.  So, he's sporting the holiday bandana--also made by Aunt Brenda
 Lodi, my cousin Nichol's goofy, five year old Weimaraner (definitely going to have to do a spell-check on this one).
Lodi, looking a little embarrassed
And, finally, Abby, the new addition.  She comes with my Aunt Andrea and she's a one year old Prince James, or King Charles, or some kind of royal spaniel...And she is ADORABLE, even when she is forced to wear a Santa hat. 

The baby:  Sweet Abby :)
Now for those of you who are not dog lovers,  having a house full of dogs during meal time (or any time, perhaps) may seem unthinkable.  But for us, it simply means everything is as it should be.

And for another year, it was.  I got to enjoy time with my wonderful family.   I got to eat Uncle Ron's lasagna, Dad's potato casserole,  Aunt Brenda's artichoke dip and Aunt Andrea's cherry dessert. Okay,  I don't actually eat the cherry dessert, because, apparently I am the only one in my family who doesn't like this dish.  (Please don't tell Ann)  But I would be sad to see it left out.  And don't worry, my Aunt Brenda makes enough Norwegian cookies to keep my sweet tooth satisfied.  

The ONLY thing that could make this night more perfect would be if my grandparents were still here to celebrate with us.  To see Anna ready to go off to college.  To see Nora Jane decorate Christmas cookies and gingerbread houses with their daughter, Brenda.  To see that their only son turned out pretty darn good.  But they are not.  And that's life.  Yet,  as I watch Nora Jane do art and make stamps with my Uncle Ron,  I realize that they are here--in each one of us--in the foods we share, and in the dogs we all love.

Until next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment