Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A (90%) Perfect Match!

When I was writing my post, 2014--The Year of the Dog, I learned that Anna (1993) was born in the year of the rooster,

Chinese Zodiac Rooster

Nora (2004) was born in the year of the monkey,

Chinese Zodiac Monkey Symbol

and David and I (both born in 1967) came into the world in the year of the sheep.

Chinese Zodiac Symbol Sheep
(Maybe this explains my fondness for these cloven beauties.)

Digging a little deeper, I also found that we each possess qualities, or characteristics, that our animals are known for. For instance, Nora Jane is self-assured, sociable, innovative, and a talented problem solver.  She does not enjoy being controlled and can be very creative with her (school) work.

Anna, likewise, is bright, capable and warm-hearted. She is pretty, enjoys dressing up and has a quick mind and hot temper.  (Although, so does her mother---the sheep. Hmmm...)

David and I are both tender, polite, and kind-hearted. We are gentle, compassionate, and, together, have a fondness for quiet living. Finally, I, like other women born in this year, also really enjoy caring for others.  

These characteristics, or personality traits, however, are just a small part of who we are individually and as a couple.  And, like most couples, we also have our differences.  


I can be quite shy.  I am much better at listening than talking.  I am more introverted, and WAY beyond sensitive.  When I was young, my dad used to say that if someone looked at me wrong, I would cry. And, at times, he was right.   David, on the other hand, never has, nor will he ever, give a rat's ass (another one of my dad's lovely euphemisms) about what others think about him.  (Reason #5,149?)


David is also a builder--of any and all things he sets his mind to: bikes, walls, fences, tables.  His masterpieces are forged from stone, metal, or wood with nothing but his own two hands and a garage full of tools.  For David has a difficult time sitting still.  His mind and body are always in motion. Multitasking is how he gets through the days.  Often I will find him "reading," while watching television... Or vice verse.  

I, in contrast, am a builder of tales, a weaver of words, who relies not on her hands, but her imagination.  My tools are some paper, a pen, and a wireless keyboard that is constantly in need of new batteries.  And, unlike Dave, I can sit for long periods of time with nothing to look at but my computer screen and messy desk.  And when it comes to reading, the quieter the spot, the better.   

Obviously, all couples have their differences, and the little differences I just mentioned are certainly nothing to end a relationship over.  Yet, stopping for a minute to think about them did make me wonder about compatibility.  

Dave and I have been happily married for twenty-two years. Thus, I know without. a. doubt. that we are compatible.  Still, I wondered...would I have been as compatible with someone born in the year of ox or the dog? According to the Chinese Zodiac Compatibility Test, the answer is NO! 

So, wanting proof that I married the right guy twenty-two years ago, (but mostly just unable to ignore the blinking tab on the computer screen) I decided to find out. I typed in our birth dates and our genders, hit the submit button, and hoped for the best!

It turns out, I had nothing to fear.  Our compatibility rating was 90% perfect!  

My results stated that we "are a perfect combination. Both of you will devote all your love to the family, (yep!) and will love the other wholeheartedly (yep!).  The male sheep works hard to guarantee a sound financial footing, (yep!) while the female sheep organizes the family life in reasonably good order." (Yep, again.  I especially liked the "reasonably" good order)

Phew!!

I know I didn't need this test to show me I made the right decision twenty-two years ago, but it was kind of fun to play along.  And besides, if you know Dave and I, you know there are no two sheep better suited for one another.

S-

P.S.  If you'd like to check your compatibility with your special someone, head on over to http://www.travelchinaguide.com  and find out! 

Good Luck!






No comments:

Post a Comment