Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A Day for the Books

At breakfast this morning, Nora very casually asked, "Mom, can I get rid of my Polly Pocket toys?  I don't play with them much anymore."

This question may not seem like a big deal to those of you outside of the Polly Pocket World, so let me explain....

Polly Pockets are very tiny dolls (much smaller than barbies...which, by the way, Nora asked to get rid of too!) with very tiny clothes.  


And even tinier shoes!  


Shoes much too small to put on said dolls with adult-sized fingers, or child-sized fingers for that matter.  Shoes that have a tendency to get lost, stepped on, broken, or sucked up into the vacuum cleaner.  Which, probably explains why, after a bit of digging, I was unable to find a matching pair. 

But, of course, these dolls don't come with just clothes and shoes.  They also come with buildings, homes, furniture, cars and anything else you can imagine.  And all of these girls (and the occasional boy/prince) --and all of their stuff-- have been in my life for a very long time.  I'm pretty sure our "collection" began way back in Anna's doll-playing days.  

Thus, when I heard those glorious words this morning, I wanted to stand up and cheer.  I wanted to dance around the kitchen singing, "yes, yes, oh, finally yes!" I wanted to go dump the whole lot of them into the van and immediately drive over to the Goodwill Donation Station before she changed her mind.  

But I didn't.  I played it cool and replied, "sure, if that's what you really want to do."

_________________________________________________________________________

In other news from the Larson Front:

There's snow in them there hills! 

That's right. Crystal Mountain is opening today for a limited one-day event. On October first!  That's got to be a record.  

Not that I'm a skier. 
But the girls are.
And Dave is.
And his friends are.  
And they were all texting and calling this morning.  
It was big news...big, big news.


October 1, 2013.... this day is definitely going down in the books :)


No comments:

Post a Comment