Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Footnote... What Racing Granny Taught Me

My recent race with Granny showed me something about myself, something most people would never guess about me, but something I'd long suspected:  I am competitive.  I am an athlete.    

I have always known that I like to work out. In fact, I love to exercise.  I love working hard, pushing myself.  As long as there are no sit-ups involved.  I hate those, and I have the tummy to prove it.  I don't even mind sweating, which is a relief, because I am a sweater! Ask Nora.  She always tells me how much I stink when I get home from a run or a ride.  As you can imagine, I love her for this.

I have always loved standing at the start of a race, butterflies flapping wildly in my stomach, waiting for the gun to go off.  I love passing my competitors, jockeying for position, before settling into a groove.  Since I don't race bikes, I can't claim to have experienced any of this on two wheels.  I have, however, done several long, organized rides and while, clearly, none of them were races, I found myself behaving as if they were.  I've found myself wanting to skip the food stops (not always a good idea) because I don't want to waste precious time.  I've found myself pushing hard up the hills, driven by a desire to pass people, and get to the finish, in a respectable time.  (respectable, being a very subjective word here) I've even caught myself, looking back on rides trying to figure out how I could have ridden faster, stronger.   None of these revelations could have surprised me more.

However, simply enjoying exercise, enjoying hard physical activity, does not a winner make.  Of this, I am a perfect example.  For, I never win.  Never even come close to winning! Yet still I strive: to do my best, to PR, to beat the old ladies up the hills and to the finish line.  

Isn't that what being an athlete is really all about?

That and sweating a lot?

No comments:

Post a Comment