Thursday, June 13, 2013

My First (solo) DD

DD Headquarters

Dave and his riding buddies have a ride they commonly refer to as The Double D, or, in written form, DD.  These two Ds stands for Dupont Dopio.  Basically, they all just ride from one of their homes in the north end of Tacoma, through Steilacoom, and out to Dupont where, conveniently, they stop at Starbucks for a quick espresso (hence the Dopio) before turning around and retracing their route back home.  Often they ride this route in the morning, before work, when they just need a quick easy thirty-five miles.  

I've ridden this route quite a few times now, but always with Dave.  This morning, however, feeling a little adventurous, I, spontaneously, decided to tackle it on my own.  Although the sky was a little bit cloudy, the sun only beginning to play peek-a-boo, I wasn't ready to turn around at my usual point, (the town of Steilacoom) so I kept going.  And I'm so glad I did, for once I started crossing through Fort Lewis, the sun was out in full force.

I know that serious cyclists enjoy riding in packs.  They enjoy looking at one another's rear-end for hours on end.  They enjoy taking pulls on the front before exiting stage-left and letting the next poor schmuck in line take his turn leading the way.  I don't think I'll ever be this kind of bike rider.  Oh, sometimes, I ride with a girlfriend (or two).  And on occasion we let our husbands come along, but more often than not, I'm on the road alone.  And I love it.  I see things that these hardliners must inevitably miss as they whiz by at speeds of twenty-five miles per hour. My average speed is about fifteen miles per hour, so it's much easier to wave to the geese,  or say hello to their little goslings as I cross the railroad tracks.  And I savor the views of the water as I "race" the ferry as it comes and goes from the Steilacoom landing.

While I didn't partake in the espresso drink that the boys enjoy,  (or do they simply require the caffeine jolt to make the return trip?) I feel proud of myself for stepping out--beyond the box.  For going a little further, for pushing my legs a little harder--All. By. Myself.  

By the time I got back home, my pride had been replaced by hunger.  In short, I was starving!  I grabbed a bowl of fruit, sat on the patio, and basked in the glow of the sun and my own accomplishment.  

Maybe stopping for a quick drink would have been a good idea.  Heck, maybe those boys know what they're doing after all.  Lesson Learned:  when feeling adventurous, bring along snack money.  

Keep on keeping on---
S- 

P.S.  Since I'm feeling so proud of myself, and still a little adventurous, maybe I'll opt for a  whole new look when I get my hair cut this afternoon.  Or, at the very least,  cover up the grays add some new color to the mix...

Nah--who am I kidding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment