Friday, April 5, 2013

About That Monkey

So... about that monkey.

Well, he's still here reminding me that my final project and final exam (yes, there are tests online) are both due on April 12th.  So, true to my nature, and like the over-zealous college student I once was, I'm feeling a little stressed out about it.  

I try not to think about it.  I mean what's the worst I could do?  Fail?  I don't think so. I have tried my best, or at least tried--every day--so that, in itself, has to be a sign of success.  Right?

Despite how I do on these last projects, this class, and my monkey, have been very good for me.  They have opened up a whole new world for me.  A world where I can write every day.  A world where I even have permission to write poorly every day. (my instructor says so)  

And they have taught me to listen to myself, to "write the thoughts and ideas inside (me)...even though they may not be any good, (for) this is where (I'll) find the cake. The rest--the rules, the techniques, the examples of other writers--is frosting." (Ann Lindquist, Beg. Writer's Wk. Shop)  

So, that's what I have done.  I have written.  I have written well (a few times) and I have written poorly (a lot). I have written early in the morning and late into the night. I have written with a smile on my face and through big, fat, sloppy tears and I've come out fine.  But mostly, I have written daily.  Surely that can't be seen as a failure.   

Oh, and of course, they've taught me about plot, conflict, dialogue, flashback, scenes, and all sorts of things that real writers use, yet don't necessarily seem to fit in with the way I write.  But through their examples, their exercises, they've provided me ample time to practice.  Which leads me to my biggest revelation:  Writing is just practicing.  Every day.  Getting better.  Doing poorly.  Trying again.  Writing more.  And more.  And more.  

So thank you Teacher Ann and thank you Monkey.  It's been a pleasure

S-



No comments:

Post a Comment