Friday, March 29, 2013

Joe and Bob's Carpentry and Plumbing

Nora Jane's class has been learning about business and marketing.  Part of this learning required the students to create a "product" of their own.  Nora's group product was a child's costume kit.  (A child's costume kit designed by eight-year-olds for use by ten-year-olds.)  Not a bad idea, I thought.  What child wouldn't like their very own costume kit?  Well, Nora loved her product SO much she couldn't wait to share it with me when she got home.

Said kit included two paper hats (of equal size?) and one paper moustache.  Apparently, donning a hat  (that promises to fit every head) and some facial hair are all one needs to radically alter their appearance. Additionally, the kit contained a camera.  I'm guessing this is to document said changes.

See what I mean?  You can hardly tell this is Nora :)
Nora, like her father, tends to dive head-first into her projects.  (Especially if cutting and gluing  are involved) And this was no exception.  So, not surprisingly, when she got home, she expanded on this project by creating her own version:  "Costume Kit, Super Deluxe Edition."

The New and Improved Version
This edition was similar to the original, but Nora added a few items to make her kit more specific, more appealing, to a certain demographic. (You know-- those kids, of any age, who really like dressing up as male plumbers and carpenters) So, she added several moustache styles because, obviously, not everyone feels comfortable wearing a handlebar moustache.  She also included two name tags (Bob and Joe) a much larger hat, one pair of glasses, a "nicer camera," and two pens (one for each of them). For recording things unbeknownst to me.  Or, perhaps they were to write up work orders.

And then it was time to play.  I expected to see a silly, physical change when Nora donned her costume.  What I did not expect, though, were the invisible ones. The changes in her demeanour, for instance.  Gone was the serious, focused, product creator.  In her place stood one of two crazy, spastic, male contractors.  Contractors who claimed they could "build me a chicken coop," or "fix my drippy drips," in no time flat.  And all for a very reasonable fee!

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable hiring either one of these "professionals," however.  Joe, or maybe it was Bob, had a psychotic look in his eye.  Like he'd just as soon stab me with his screwdriver and abscond with my chickens.

Joe (or Bob, I'm not sure) of Joe and Bob's Carpentry and Plumbing
And his twin's glasses were so crooked (not to mention missing the lenses) that I feared putting a tool in his hand would only lead to him physically harming himself.

The Twin
The similarity is striking!
Nora's Costume Kit is still in the design phase, as there are some "bugs" that still need fixing.  Most importantly, how to prevent the staches from ripping during application.  (it's kind of a big bug) And based on this project,  I don't know if Nora will make it in the world of commerce.  I'm not sure it's the right "place" for her.  I do know, however, that wherever she goes, she's going to keep me laughing  until she gets there.



Keep on keeping on-
S-

P.S.  I received no compensation from Joe and/or Bob for this post, I'm simply spreading the word:  they're looking for work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment