Monday, February 11, 2013

The End of a Chapter

While Anna was home from college at Thanksgiving, she and I went to see "Twilight: Breaking Dawn, Pt. 2." Now, before you guffaw my taste in movies, let me explain.

As mothers (parents) we all strive to find things to do with our kids as they grow, to keep that mother-child connection strong.  These activities are different for every family, but they can come in the form of sports, crafts, shopping.   For Anna and I, it's always been books and movies. When she was much younger, she got hooked on the Harry Potter series.  Because of her enjoyment, I tried (a little) to engage in them as well.  However, after reading the first one, I just knew they weren't for me. I did, however, continue to purchase all the books for her, and, over the years,  sat beside her in the theaters watching them come to life on the big screen.

I watched Harry grow into a fighter, all the while maintaining his humility. I watched him become a good friend, a good student, and a young man who cared about his world.  All of which I am now witnessing in Anna as she transitions from young lady to full-fledged adult.

While these movies were certainly not my favorites, and probably nothing I would have ever watched if she "hadn't made me," today I can say I'm so glad she did.  For those movie dates were our time to connect, to chat, to just enjoy each other without any of the middle school, high school, teenage distractions getting in the way.  Okay, maybe I'm making more out of those movie sessions than she would.  I know I was really just "the bank,"  there to pay for the tickets and the heavily buttered-popcorn, but I loved those dates--more than anything.  I loved how she watched wide-eyed, making sure they got it "just right."  Mostly, though, I loved it when she put away her cell phone, shutting out the whole world, for just a little while, except for me and Harry.

So as we walked out of the theater last summer, after saying our final goodbyes to the all-grown-up Mr. Potter, I felt a bid sad.  I felt as if I, too, was walking out of the theater with a much different, much more grown-up version of Anna.  And, although she's been at college for a year and a half,  it still felt like the end of an era, her childhood era.

I know there will be other films, other books that we will share, because that's what we do.  That's our thing.   But none of them will evoke those special childhood memories.  None of them will bring to mind the sweet, little, blonde girl who would sit outside--for hours--on the front step, completely engrossed in her latest book.

Anna--The Reader
Or the girl who had to drag her books everywhere we went, even if it was just a five minute trip to the grocery store.  Or the little girl who begged me to take her to the midnight showings of the afore-mentioned movies.  We never went.  I may have been the buyer of many, many books, but I was a stickler for bedtime.

But kids grow up.  That's what they do.  Although her coveted collection of HP books still reside on her book shelf,  Platform 9 3/4 is, for us, officially closed.  And the poster she gladly accepted that day last summer (despite being an official adult) hangs in her nearly empty bedroom.  A sign that her time with us, too, is coming to a close. 
This says it all

Thus, watching the final "Twilight" movie, evoked similar feelings in me.  And as the credits rolled, we were both surprised to see the names and photos of all the actors who had played a role in making this one of the most sensational movie series ever.   It was a sweet trip down Memory Lane, Twilight Style.  As the last name scrolled off the screen, I almost expected to see the name "Anna Larson" on the list.  Just to let me know (in case I somehow missed it) that my teenage daughter has, in fact, grown up.   So when Anna turned to me and said, "that was so nice of them to list all their names, but sad too.  As if they won't be a part of us again."  I could only agree.

S-

P.S.  Surprise!  Platform 9 3/4 hasn't officially closed after all.  Nora is now a huge fan having read all of her sister's hand-me-downs.  And the movies are still getting played fairly regularly.....whenever Anna comes home from school, or we take a long drive in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment