Tuesday, November 13, 2012

To Eat, Drink, and Be Merry

Our long holiday weekend started on Saturday with a soccer game. 

Note the fierceness. 

Note the shin guards inside the rain boots.

Nora and Meredith:
2 of the fiercest ladybugs you will ever meet

This Ladybugs victory was followed by a trip to Tacoma's newest doughnut shop:  Legendary Doughnuts.  And let me just say, YUM! 

Legendary Doughnuts on 6th Ave:
Check them out:) 
Here's what the girls had: 

Nora:  All Sprinkles, all the time
Meredith:   A purist through and through,
     The Glazed Doughnut

Here's what D and I had:  
Me:  glazed pumpkin (yum!)
Dave: The Tiger Tail,
(which was big enough to feed two, no lie) 





Now, if you are unlike us, and want non-traditional donuts covered in just about anything you can imagine:  gummy worms, chocolate, frosting, bacon you, too, will be pleased.  Or, if doughnuts made to look like famous celebrities (Homer Simpson, Sponge Bob)  is more your style, you can get those too.  But I don't know why you would.  
After all that sugar, Dave and I were pretty energized.  So while the girls played, he cut the grass and I swept the house and did laundry.  

And then it was time for dinner and a movie; a grown-up dinner, and a grown-up movie.  So Dave and I waved goodbye to Nora, Meredith, and Meredith's big sister, Abby, who kindly came over to keep an eye on things, and went on a real date.  A real date complete with a really big dinner and a really big glass of wine.  Too big, apparently.  For after settling myself into my seat at the theatre, I promptly nodded off.  And on.  And off again.  So I can't really say that I enjoyed Argo, but the ending was very tense and exciting, and, of course, they all got out of Iran alive.  

And here's our cool personal connection to the movie:  When Dave was in middle school, some of the former Iran hostages came to his school for a talk.  When I asked him what they said, he couldn't really remember.  I mean, it was a long time ago.  And he was like 12 or 13, so I'm sure all he was thinking of,  at the time, was getting the heck out of that gym and on to his bike or skateboard.  Still, I thought it was pretty cool.

And then came Sunday:  Veteran's Day.  To celebrate, we drove to the mountains and went geo-caching.  And I'm so glad we did.  There's nothing quite as wonderful as the first snow of the season; especially with your kid and your dog; and, especially if it's not at your house!  
Jack's fifteenth snow season

After some playing, and hiking, and searching, and searching, and lifting up snow covered bark, and searching some more,  we finally found it:  


the cache!

Inside this ammo box was a treasure trove that would please any eight-year-old.  Or at least our eight-year-old.  So, after signing the log book, Nora removed a horse figurine (of course) and left a beautiful colored stone.  Although, I don't think anyone will find her stone for a while.  No one had been to this cache for over a year.  Which isn't surprising, it was pretty far out there!  Which is what made it so wonderful.    

After all that hunting, hiking, and wild animal poop identifying, we were cold.    And needed to wash our hands!  So we stopped in Greenwater at one of our favorite watering holes, Wapiti Woolies, for some hot cocoa.  

Nora and Mr. Wapiti 
But by the time we got down to Bonney Lake, we were still hungry.  So we stopped again.  This time at Hop Jacks for some real food, and beer real drink.  And it was GOOOD!  

refueling with 2 of my favorite people

To finish off the weekend, Nora, and her fellow Brownie members, went on a field trip to Auntie Anne's Pretzels. (I know: who knew?)  There she learned the history of the pretzel, how to form a pretzel, how to stretch pretzel dough, how to squish pretzel dough, and how to eat a VERY sugared and cinnamon(ed) pretzel.  Oh, and she got a cool hat.  

Future pretzel makers?
So my long weekend pretty much consisted of eating and drinking.  And watching my kid exercise.  A pretty good weekend if I do say so myself.  

So thank you to all you Veterans for keeping my world a safe place to eat, drink, and be merry!  

xoxo-
S

1 comment:

  1. Pretzel Field Trips are so much fun! Thanks for visiting your local store and learning the art of pretzel-making!

    Shannon Zimmerman
    Auntie Anne's, Inc.
    Lancaster, PA

    ReplyDelete