Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Mr. Unexpected Comes to Dinner

Last night we ate dinner in the midst of a storm.  As we sat inside our warm, dry dining room, outside the wind howled and the rain, like it does every year at this time, completely saturated my back yard, turning it into a soggy bog.  

At one point, the wind gusts felt so strong, that I was preparing myself for lift-off and contemplating what life would be like in Oz.  Those thoughts quickly faded, though, when Dave, bravely pushed away from the table, walked over to the back door and opened it.  My first thought was that he was checking to see that the new shed he'd recently erected in the back yard hadn't toppled over or blown away.  That wasn't his intention at all; and when he uttered his next words, I was even more blown away... (get it?) 

"Here kitty kitty!  Here Cooper!"

"Are you calling the cat?" I asked,  trying to hide my surprise.

Nora, happy to have an excuse to avoid eating her dinner, turned away from her plate and said, "Dad I let him in a little bit ago."  

"Oh, good" he said, as he closed the door and walked into the living room, to see if Cooper was hiding in there.  

"There you are!"
Which was followed by an even more surprising: "and nobody turned on the fireplace for you!"

Cooper:
Safe and Dry on the couch
with his friend Kit























Nora and I just stared at one another; and I thought, perhaps we had landed in Oz after all.  Well, Dave must have seen the surprise on my face when he returned to the table.

"What?"  he asked.

Oh nothing, I thought.  It's just nice having company for dinner.

xoxo-
S

No comments:

Post a Comment