Sunday, October 9, 2011

Hockey Night in Seattle (Make that Kent)





This is the time of year that Hockey Night in Canada starts to show up consistently on our television.  Since Dave grew up playing hockey, he can't help it.  But last night we decided to make our own hockey night.  So we took Nora Jane to her first hockey game.  Our team, (at least the closest team to Tacoma) The Seattle Thunderbirds, was playing a home game (in Kent) against the Victoria Royals.  I really don't know why a Seattle team doesn't play at a venue IN Seattle; I'm sure it has something to do with money.  But it was a hockey game, and it was Saturday night, so there you go.  


And it was Glow Night.  So, in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Valley Medical Center was hosting Pink the Rink.  And pink it was!  We all got Pink Hats, Pink Glow Sticks, and some of the lucky ones even got pink feather boas.  We were not those people.  But we wore our pink hats proudly (even Dave--and he's NOT one to wear pink) as we cheered the boys.  And I do mean boys, some of these kids are still in high school! 


Ah....crazy fans




I didn't even plan this! 
photo taken by jr.... a little too up close :)
And they played well, scoring the victory for all Seattle and Western Washington Hockey Fans. They even managed to throw in a few minor scuffs for the fans to get excited about.  I was not one of them.  Sorry, but I still cannot understand how Fighting can be allowed in a professional sport.  Dave argues, "It's part of the game. It's tradition!"  And that I do understand. But traditions can change right?  Especially when you see a young Victoria Player get rammed from behind  checked into the glass headfirst by a Thunderbird.  This, then, led to the throwing off of the gloves; which made me worry about, oh, their brains, and their necks, and their bones.  But that is a whole other post.  However, in case you are wondering:  the T-bird earned himself a ten minute misconduct and Victoria took revenge in the last period by a pretty good shove check of their own.  

Despite the fighting, Dave and I had a great time.  Even though Dave's burger was cold (probably because it had to wait for my Philly Cheese Steak to cook) and our beers were eight bucks!  But it was just fun to be a part of a crowd, all cheering together for the same victory.  I didn't know these kids' names, their numbers, or where their families call home, but if they were wearing a blue and green jersey then they were mine for the night.  

Nora, on the other hand, wasn't equally impressed.  She didn't understand why she was being told to 







Reading the reader board for "instructions" 


And the post goal cheer took some training.  It was just a simple four count cheer:  clap, clap, clap, fist pump accompanied by a loud HEY!   But it was new to Nora, who is not the "cheery" type and it required  serious thought :) 



I wish I could have captured her lips counting but, alas, I'm not that good at photography


She did, however, enjoy the trike racing competition after the first period.  Seeing grown ups race around on little kids' bikes is always good for a laugh.








And she liked the "Chuck the Puck" competition after the second period. 






This involved fans chucking foam pucks from the stands down into the sun roof of a Volkswagen Jetta.  Not that they won the Jetta for making their shot, but they did get some free tickets to an upcoming game.  

So midway through the third period, she became "bored."  Honestly, I'm surprised she made it that long.  So she pulled her library book out of my bag (we NEVER go anywhere without it) and read to the end (of the book and the game).  

And then it was time to go home.  
And I had a GREAT time!

I didn't even realize the players had pink tape on their sticks until I got home!
But I love it!  


Final Score:  Seattle (5) Victoria (4) 

No comments:

Post a Comment