Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Road to Recovery

As I mentioned earlier, I am currently NOT RUNNING.  And, as a runner, this makes me very unhappy.  This is a sport I have been enjoying since high school and in all that time I've never really missed more than a day or two.  But this year has been hell.  Actually, it was last year mostly, but it's spilling over into this year.   In short, I was plagued with injuries.  There was the groin (ouch), the knees (chronic), the piriformis (bet you didn't even know you had one of these did ya) and last, but not least, my current problem:  The foot (Plantar Fascitis--again--ouch).  

So it's been two long months since I've hit the road, or run the trails and, I must say,  I've handled it remarkably well.    Thankfully, Christmas and Winter Break kept me busy.  But now school has resumed.  Everyone is back where they belong and I have more time on my hands.  (Hence this new project.  Apparently, I go from one addiction to another.)

To keep my body from going completely downhill,  I have decided to devote some of this free-time to "cross-training."  I have tried doing this before, but never successfully, as I was never able to give up my  running days for something else.  Not a very good philosophy for someone trying to cross-train I know.  But, now,  if I'm going to stay in shape, I have to move.   Rolling out cookie dough and lifting those Starbucks holiday cups to my lips didn't really do anything for my heart, or my muscle tone.

Now if you are a Face Book Friend, you already know I went swimming the other day.  I do this from time to time, when my legs are tired or achey.  But it's not really my thing.  I like it well enough, but my obsessive nature takes over and I can't stop counting laps.  And then when I lose count, I'm a mess.  Was that ten, or eleven?  The mental stress is  exhausting.   Not to mention The Gear.  Obviously,  there's the suit.  You can't go without that.  Then there's the cap (makes no one look good) and finally, the goggles.  Which make us all look ridiculous.   Although I have to admit, it's not as bad as cycling.  This sport just involves way too many layers.  On a cold day,  I'm surprised I can even lift my leg over the frame.  There are the gloves, the booties (so the toes don't freeze, though mine still do) the base layer, the mid-layer, the jacket, the ear warmers, the helmets, the bike pumps, the spare tubes.  And then five miles down the road I'm sweating like a pig!
See what I mean?  The remains of my WET and WINDY ride

So, after dropping NJ off at school on Monday,  I set out to start my new exercise program.    After checking in at the YMCA, and a quick pit stop in the bathroom, I grabbed my cap and goggles and walked into the pool room.  As I put my hands inside my cap to stretch it over my big head,  (Yes, I believe I have a big head.)  it split right down the back seam.  Oh Snap!  Well, maybe it'd still work.  Forever the optimist, I tried again.   Of course it didn't work!  It just split more.  So I dug through my swim bag and purse hoping to find something--anything--that would hold my hair out of my face!   Voila!  TWO of Nora's LITTLE, TINY, yellow hair clippies.  Well, that ought to hold about five hairs in place.  But I was determined.  I was here.  I was in my suit.  I was going swimming!

I put on my goggles, hopped into the pool, swam a few strokes and my goggles began filling.  This was going to be a LONG swim.  So I fiddled with them.  I tightened the straps. I talked sweetly to them.  I hoped for the best.  But this was their best.  So for twenty-five minutes I swam, back and forth, back and forth, eyes burning from the chlorine, until I could see no more.  

God I miss running.  The simplicity of lacing up your shoes and locking the door on your way out.  No fuss.  No muss.  No heavy dependence on equipment.  Okay, your legs and feet gotta be cooperative, but other than that....not so much!
I miss these guys :(

Well that was two days ago.  Today I was going to be better prepared.  I borrowed a new cap from Anna's swim drawer and went to look for my goggles.  And guess what?  The damn things were nowhere to be seen.   Again my optimism wouldn't let me give up.  Well, I'll  just buy some new ones at the Y I told myself only to get there and REALLY be told, "we're out."  My heart sank.  Why is this so hard, my brain voice screamed at me.  Still not ready to throw in the towel, (get it?) I asked, "may I check your lost and found box, maybe I left them here on Monday."  After I described them, the Y-Guy said, "are any of  these yours?"  And I said, "those are"  as I grabbed them and walked into the locker room.   Of course, they weren't mine!  But they were goggles for God's Sake and I was going swimming!  

Again, with suit on, hair tucked snugly into my new cap, goggles suctioned so tightly onto my face there was absolutely NO chance of removal,  I dove in.   And THAT'S what I get for lying!   They were worse than my lost ones!  But, again, I kept on.  A glutton for punishment if ever there was one.  Until thirty minutes later when I stumbled blindly into the locker room and stood under the shower, for what seemed like an eternity, cleansing my poor eyeballs.  

During this time, Jack E Boy had been waiting patiently in the car.  Or maybe not so patiently, it's hard to tell really. I promised him a walk in the nearby trails after my swim.   With my eyes still red, I pulled my hat low to avoid direct eye contact with any other dog walkers we may encounter and off we went.  Luckily it was a quiet day at the trails and not many people were out.  But, as we turned our last corner and headed back to the car, I lifted my head and smiled directly into the face of a runner coming towards me.  It'd been so long since I've seen one up close.  She was beautiful!  Her long black ponytail swinging back and forth in perfect rhythm.  And her outfit!   Well, it consisted of a baggy sweatshirt, sweats that were too short to be sweats, but not quite short enough to be capris, ugly mismatched gloves and GASP!  weird shoes!  Some kind of clunky REI slipper/shoe thing!  BEAUTIFUL!

But the real beauty of her outfit:  she didn't have to fuss with any of it!  She knew her cap would stay on her head.  She knew her ugly mismatched gloves wouldn't fall off.  She knew nothing would leak, rip, or tear.  OKAY,  I really don't know what she was thinking with those shoes, but they seemed to be working for her.    NO FUSS, NO MUSS.  

We smiled as we passed each other and yes, she did appear concerned as she quickly scanned my battered eyes, but I carried on.   Renewed.  Hopeful.  For the day I, too,  return to running these trails.  

Back in the car,  Jack and I had to make one final stop before returning home.  The Fircrest Swim Shop.  There I would certainly get some much needed expert advice on goggles.  "You see, you gotta get a good seal,"  I was told.  Really!!!  So I handed her my twenty bucks and walked out.   

As I was hanging up my wet suit and cap in the bathroom, I spotted them.  Hanging from the bathtub faucet, RIGHT where I left them.  Well, they are clear.    They did totally blend in to the side of the tub.  

Hmm...maybe the goggles aren't the real problem afterall...

No comments:

Post a Comment