Friday, January 7, 2011

Dinner With a Danish Boy

Meet Malte.  
Malte and Anna:  TWO beautiful Scandinavians
Malte (pronounced Melda) is my newest friend.  Okay, he's actually, Anna's friend, but since we broke bread together tonight, I'm officially claiming him as well.  And, by breaking bread, I mean I served him a REAL American meal:  hot dogs and tater-tots, which I felt compelled to explain.  He's been here for FOUR months and never heard of them!  What's he been eatin!  He also liked that I served "salad" and fruit with dinner.  Salad!  It was plate of apple slices, carrot sticks and cucumber rounds---total filler!  Poor kid, he caught me on Date Night with Dave.  

Malte is from Denmark and currently living with relatives in North Tacoma, while "studying" at Stadium High School.  It would probably be more correct to say that he hangs out at Stadium, because when I asked him how his classes here compare with those from the old country,  he laughed!  Honestly!  Apparently, he's a smarty pants, in addition to being the cutest Danish boy I know.  

And speaking of Danes, can you name any famous ones?

Well, I can and here they are, in the order I learned them:

Viggo Mortensen, the actor.  I KNOW, I thought he was Italian too.  Doesn't Viggo just conjure up images of spaghetti and red wine?  Here's a tip I learned:  the "sen" at the end of one's last name totally reveals their Danish heritage.  

Which brings us to #2 on my list:  Scarlet Johann"son."  Hmm.... Another actor, and another pretty cute Dane, although her name does totally blow Malte's afore-mentioned theory.  However, in his defence, I did read that Scarlett is of both Polish and Danish descent.  Maybe this explains it.  

And then, of course, there is the band, Aqua; known in America, or at least by me, as the group made famous by the annoying  catchy tune,  Barbie Girl.

And, finally, though certainly there are more just unbeknownst to me, let's not forget "The Eagle from Herning,"  Bjarne Riis.  I'm always happy to plug a cyclist:  Go Team Saxo Bank!  

But back to Malte.  You already know he's smart.  He's also very polite, very conversational, and very worldly.  He's been to more countries than I can remember.  He plays football, big shock I know, and he's also musical, playing both the guitar and piano.  He's nice to little girls, and helpful as well.  He helped Anna with her K.P. duties last night.  (We will so be friends!)  So as you can see, he is one sweet boy.  

Malte will be in Tacoma only until the end of the school year,  then he's off to explore America with his family.  I am hoping he will come back for another visit, and maybe play me a song or two? I promised him a meal much better than hot dogs and tater-tots.   I think we'll go out, I cook much better that way!  

If you'd like to meet Malte, contact Anna or look him up on the web.  I hear he's got a video or two on YouTube.  

Hej :)

P.S.  In case you're wondering about my Date Night with Dave, we saw "True Grit," and I think you should too.   Hailee Steinfeld, the young actress who plays Mattie Ross,  is fabulous!   Definitely 2 thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment